header2

As a visual artist, my work stems from being an avid explorer of my environment, where ever I may be. For this 5- plus week residency I intend on mapping the centers, and surrounding areas of Oaxaca and Puebla primarily by foot, opening my senses to the colors, smells, textures and people of this a foreign environment. Although my Spanish is fairly limited, I am determined to establish a sincere relationship with this new place, and in turn, plan on creating a site-specific art installation reflecting my experience. This blog will serve as a collection of data as well as a journal recording of my day to day episodes.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Un suspiro de alivio

I arrived at the residency the next (Monday) morning, and definitely experienced a much needed sigh of relief. At last, I had made it to my much anticipated destination, Arquetopia, and hadn't even been kidnapped, mugged, lost or anything yet! The building was adorable, and much to my delight, quaintly "Mexican" adorned with authentic tiles and topped off with a rotunda. I was warmly welcomed by all (4) members of the current staff- Daniella, Nayeli, Chris and Paco.

After settling in to my room, Chris showed me around the residency and I quickly realized that I was indeed the only artist at the residency. THEREFORE I would get to have the studio all to myself. What a bummer, eh?

The beautiful studio space
Mi cama
 Although I was anticipating meeting and being around other artists, I was in no way let down. Really, I was just so excited to be there any circumstance was the best.

After having a GLORIOUS, ENORMOUS meal cooked the by the house keep- Ana, Daniella took me on the bus to the Zocolo, or El Centro where the main Cathedrals and hangouts are. It was absolutely beautiful, but because it was Monday, not very busy. Daniella told me that on the weekends, the centro is buzzing with arts and entertainment. She also took me to an art store where I was able to pick up my supplies... kind of uneventful since I am not yet sure exactly what I am going to be doing...

Daniella and I had a great time hanging out and she promised to take me to go party where she lives, about an hour away in Cholula. I very much look forward to that, and feel like I will be needing that release come the weekend. The evening came and with it a torrential downpour. Daniella and I had to run through the rain from the bus back to the residency and by the time we made it back, we were both soaked.

The night carried on and I realized how tired I was. My brain felt like mush from trying to speak Spanish day, but I was pretty proud at how much was coming back to me. It was a very long and eventful day and time at last to wind down, but not, Chris informed me, until I tried his homemade bread and Oaxacan hot chocolate.

Hang out zone, Arquetopia
Chris and I talked late into the night and he showed me all his photos from his time in Mexico. What he shared with me made me even more excited to begin this adventure. 

Oaxacan hot cocoa/ home made pan
It was long, and certainly tiring, but I have to admit- today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment