header2

As a visual artist, my work stems from being an avid explorer of my environment, where ever I may be. For this 5- plus week residency I intend on mapping the centers, and surrounding areas of Oaxaca and Puebla primarily by foot, opening my senses to the colors, smells, textures and people of this a foreign environment. Although my Spanish is fairly limited, I am determined to establish a sincere relationship with this new place, and in turn, plan on creating a site-specific art installation reflecting my experience. This blog will serve as a collection of data as well as a journal recording of my day to day episodes.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

eat, sleep, paint

I'm happy to say that the reason I haven't posted anything in a few days is because I've been doing pretty much nothing other than hitting the studio. Hittin' it hard. And actually feeling like it's all coming together and going somewhere. Also, Steve (aka best tour guide ever) has been helping me find the perfect public wall to install my piece by introducing me to all the right people who all have ideas and actually seem interested in what I'm doing. I think that one of my biggest unexpressed fears of coming to Mexico with the intentions of doing a public piece was, well, just that- doing a public piece in a foreign environment where I am the outsider, no one knows my work... and I'm a gringa. I am quickly learning that this fear is really silly and naîve. The people love their art here, and the more the better. Anyhow, it's been a magical experience being exposed to all these different people in the community and realizing just how much art and how many artists exist here. It really is a magical place.

Here are some brief and ambiguous photos of what I have been working on- I'm afraid I can't reveal too much yet ;)
Click to enlarge weon.



Add caption
looks like a mess but will soon be assembled

He hangs out... and I cut myself with and xacto blade twice...
Some explorative treasures:
The view from Ruby's house.

Swoon a Mercado central

Swoon a mercado Central

and AMAZING bar- El Olivo

El Olivo

And PS, Mexico's Independence day was this last Sunday, September 15th. So naturally, we attended the event at teh Zocolo. VIVA MEXICO:
The Governor's mansion (I believe) where he did the "Grito"





1 comment: