header2

As a visual artist, my work stems from being an avid explorer of my environment, where ever I may be. For this 5- plus week residency I intend on mapping the centers, and surrounding areas of Oaxaca and Puebla primarily by foot, opening my senses to the colors, smells, textures and people of this a foreign environment. Although my Spanish is fairly limited, I am determined to establish a sincere relationship with this new place, and in turn, plan on creating a site-specific art installation reflecting my experience. This blog will serve as a collection of data as well as a journal recording of my day to day episodes.

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sola, pero no solitario

Yesterday was a day of work and play. I spent almost all day again in the studio working on new concepts. I feel like I have developed a solid direction and am excited to spend as much time as I can on this project. After hours and hours in the studio, at around 8 pm I decided to head downtown to el centro and walk around in search for a decent glass of wine. I opted to go to one of the nice restaurants near el Zocolo. I got to sit on the balcony, enjoy some wine, think, and write. For a Friday, it was mellow, but I splurged a little bit, and it was nice.
 
An awesome café I found in the morning.







Lots of Bugs around here as Puebla is a huge distributor for VW

Some thoughts from last night: 
Mexico is very loud. There is always commotion and little avenues to escape it. I think that is something I will begin to miss- a healthy dose of silence.

Puebla is an anomaly. Everything seems to be a contradiction yet somehow exists simultaneously and the dissidence seems to go unnoticed except for by the outsider. Where I have initially struggled with the inconsistencies of this place, I have come to realize that the need for constant structure is indeed the gringa in me and that I really need to let go in order to truly understand the love and passion that this chaotic country is. 

The U.S. and Mexico are siblings who are completely, intrinsically interconnected and envy what each other has. Thus a resentment has been formed and with it an enormous wall of disillusionment. I wonder how necessary it is to try and reunite this broken relationship and whether I am just a hopeless romantic seeking more stimulation and the chance to exercise my Spanish...

Thinking of the quote "When America sneezes, Mexico gets the cold"
Anoche. Sola, pero no solitario.

Yep.
 

Mexico decorates like it's Christmas Every Single day.



The Man in blue who sat and stared at the poeple for hours. He seemed very lonely...













No comments:

Post a Comment