header2

As a visual artist, my work stems from being an avid explorer of my environment, where ever I may be. For this 5- plus week residency I intend on mapping the centers, and surrounding areas of Oaxaca and Puebla primarily by foot, opening my senses to the colors, smells, textures and people of this a foreign environment. Although my Spanish is fairly limited, I am determined to establish a sincere relationship with this new place, and in turn, plan on creating a site-specific art installation reflecting my experience. This blog will serve as a collection of data as well as a journal recording of my day to day episodes.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Un otro dîa, un otro barrio

Today I spent a lot of time in the studio, at last. It was beautiful out and I had the space to spread out and get some concepts going.
Looks like a kindergarten art project. I know.

drawing the Arquetopia rotunda
After studio time, we went to lunch at a favorite spot of Chris and Paco's near El Centro. Today it was imperative that I try the local in season dish- Chiles en nogada which translates to Chiles in a walnut sauce. This dish is a favorite and famous dish in Puebla and is only available seasonally during the summer months. It contains about a million ingredients but is essentially a pork stuffed Chile with a variety of sweet and savory items such as almonds, raisins, cinnimon, candied fruit, garlic etc all stuffed into a nummy poblano pepper and smothered in a deeelicious creamy walnut sauce then topped with pomegranate seeds. As Chris said "it's pretty much everything in the kitchen other than the kitchen sink." A sweet and savory, comfort food- I'm happy I tried it, but am still so full, it will be probably be til next year that I try it again :)
Chilis en nogada. A must try once in your life.
On our way home, I got the inkling to take a walk. Maybe it had to do with the amount of calories I just ingested. I politely asked Paco who was driving to stop the car, so i could explore. And of course he did, mid-lane I hopped out and sprinted to the side walk. You see, this is how we roll in Mexico. I had been eyeing this neighborhood on the busrides home from el centro area and decided now was a good time to go finally check it out. I'm really glad I did. 
Click to enlarge.
The tire must mean it's a tire shop.















No comments:

Post a Comment