header2

As a visual artist, my work stems from being an avid explorer of my environment, where ever I may be. For this 5- plus week residency I intend on mapping the centers, and surrounding areas of Oaxaca and Puebla primarily by foot, opening my senses to the colors, smells, textures and people of this a foreign environment. Although my Spanish is fairly limited, I am determined to establish a sincere relationship with this new place, and in turn, plan on creating a site-specific art installation reflecting my experience. This blog will serve as a collection of data as well as a journal recording of my day to day episodes.

Monday, September 9, 2013

El mercado de antiguas

I've been here exactly one week. Sunday. The weather was somewhat cleared up enough to venture out and visit the much anticipated Mercado de antiguas. Today, I will also leave to Oaxaca, mmmm, ¡estoy muy emocionada!



Right after I got home from el mercado, Chris, Paco, Nayeli and myself left by car to Oaxaca. It was a crazy experience and involved me having to understand and accept the fact that, although I only see two lanes on the road, everyone else sees four. In other words, passing is permitted at all times. The drive was absolutely stunning as we drove through enormous mountains covered in various types of cacti and other flora. We arrived in Oaxaca just as the sun was going down, and I immediately fell in love...

No comments:

Post a Comment