header2

As a visual artist, my work stems from being an avid explorer of my environment, where ever I may be. For this 5- plus week residency I intend on mapping the centers, and surrounding areas of Oaxaca and Puebla primarily by foot, opening my senses to the colors, smells, textures and people of this a foreign environment. Although my Spanish is fairly limited, I am determined to establish a sincere relationship with this new place, and in turn, plan on creating a site-specific art installation reflecting my experience. This blog will serve as a collection of data as well as a journal recording of my day to day episodes.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Estoy Aqui.

My flight from Reno to Puebla wasn't half bad, other than the painfully irking anxiety I was feeling that now, when I look back at it, was so damn silly. This was all caused by one thing- having to get into a taxi in Mexico once I got off the plane. A taxi... in Mexico... at night.... Yes this was the thought causing all the anxiety in my sweaty palms, racing mind and tension in my neck. Why did everyone have to tell me the stories? The stories about getting scammed, or even kidnapped "it happens, be careful!"... dammit, I just had to make it that 20 minute stretch from the airport to Puebla and I would be home free! But it was night time, and I was sincerely scared.

The first ten minutes of the cab ride was horribly awkward. I was convinced I was being taken in the exact wrong direction. It was raining and dark out- I obviously had no idea where we were. Although I was sitting in the front seat, we said nothing to each other and kept our eyes straight forward. I think I made him feel a bit uncomfortable too, in his own cabbie. Finally, the ice was broken when the driver turned to me and asked "Español?" ..."...Sî?" I admitted, already feeling lame.

The last ten minutes of the ride to my Hotel was filled with conversation in broken, yet earnestly attempted Español. His name was Alejandro. The moment we began speaking it became blaringly obvious how silly and paranoid I was being. Alejandro was actually a very nice guy. He was a native Poblano (born in Puebla), had never heard of Reno, or Nevada and thought his name was ugly. When he told me this, I laughed, and asked him how could his name be ugly if lady Gaga has a hit song called "Alejonadro"? He liked that. We chatted all the way, and when I got to my Hotelito, we shook hands, and parted ways.

My first experience in Mexico. A very "gringa" one, at that.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment