header2

As a visual artist, my work stems from being an avid explorer of my environment, where ever I may be. For this 5- plus week residency I intend on mapping the centers, and surrounding areas of Oaxaca and Puebla primarily by foot, opening my senses to the colors, smells, textures and people of this a foreign environment. Although my Spanish is fairly limited, I am determined to establish a sincere relationship with this new place, and in turn, plan on creating a site-specific art installation reflecting my experience. This blog will serve as a collection of data as well as a journal recording of my day to day episodes.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Concept to creation

The last five weeks have been amazing, and packed with harnessing concepts, and putting them in to creation. My project has turned out perfectly, thanks to all the people I have met and experiences I have had. A photo from the studio, pre-paste:
Spot sanctioned, time for action. On October 4th, 2013 around 5 pm in Oaxaca city, 3 unassuming gringos- two Americans and one Aussie, headed to said wall equipped with wheat paste and paper material. And then...





 You can find this Wheat paste mural on calle Berriozabal on the North side of Santo Domingo church.

Artist Statement:
For my residency, I am going to install a wheat paste collage of various paintings I have made that reflect my time in Mexico. With the intention of allowing this foreign environment to affect me and inspire new work, I took long walks around the inner and outer areas of Puebla and Oaxaca, as well as visited various smaller sights on the outskirts. I took photos, and wrote about my experiences which I kept track of on a blog in order to record my time here.


The paintings that make up the collage range from sites that I felt enamored by in their context to objects which reminded me of people I love and admire. I also have integrated symbolism into my work in order to create a shared visual language between myself, the foreigner, and my audience here in Mexico. These symbols range from quotes, and objects to a figure. All of which I have my own personal connection to, but also contain observable meaning here in Mexico.  


The centerpiece of my collage is a rendered image of Frida Kahlo. Although Frida has become sort of a cliché in Mexico (and even internationally) I chose to use a lesser known image of her and recontextualize it to resemble someone holy, or saintly. In my piece, she becomes a point of connection for me who admires her as a female painter, and my audience who view her as representing Mexican pride and identity.


My intention with this project has always been to establish a sincere and meaningful relationship with a new place. In the process, I have been forced to become very vulnerable in my new environment and therefore strip down the blockages of identity that initially caused me to feel like “the other”. By installing my piece in the public sphere, I aim to deepen my vulnerability and open up the conversation between myself, and my new audience. Also, my choice to create a collage holds a conceptual tie to the literal, and subjective layers of different thoughts and experiences I have had.






No comments:

Post a Comment